Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Protest Project Beginnings

For the protest project, there is a particular problem I have with the way in which educators are reacting against Walker. It has been popularized to walk-out of schools in protest of the budget bill. In my opinion, this is completely unacceptable. Teachers walking out on their students. What a thought. If they are such strong advocates for education, what makes them think that it would be at all appropriate for them to abandon what they stand for? This concept is just completely backwards to me. I understand that people are angry and feel that they deserve their rights. I do not understand how they think that walking out on innocent students will solve anything. By walking out, teachers are targeting the wrong group of people. These walk-outs have an extremely negative impact on students. There are many other constructive ways to prove a point.

I have heard stories of teachers walking out, but bringing their students with. This is also so very wrong, in my opinion. If they are younger students, they do not understand what they are taking part in. These students are left without a choice, but to follow their teacher's directions. I can only imagine how furious some parents must be. In schools that have older students attending, they may feel pressured to partake in the walk-outs. It is possible that these students are also being fed very biased information. This is an abuse of power.

The inappropriate actions of educators will be the driving force behind my project.

No comments:

Post a Comment