Sunday, December 13, 2009

Final Post

http://www.flickr.com/photos/albergjillian/
-Photos located in the set titled, "Second Half"

Since midterm, I have learned about the skull and have learned more about cross contour line drawings. In terms of cross contour drawings, I am grasping a better understanding of showing different planes of a form. I had never thought about lines wrapping around forms before this class. It is a very simple concept, but it takes time to get used to. In previous drawing courses, we were trained to pump out drawings using shading and value to describe a form. It was a challenge to switch gears, but a good challenge since my abilities have significantly improved. In terms of drawing the skull, I was surprised how well I did. I have never really drawn a skull before. I had mostly avoided it previously because I didn’t know I was capable of drawing one. When looking through my drawings before I knew how to describe the skull, the head looks odd on each one. It always bothered me that I was capable of drawing a decent body, but there was the head looking blank and awkward. Now that I can draw the skull, it is much easier to describe the form of a human head when drawing a figure. Once I had the bone structure of the head figured out, the features came more easily, since they all have their specific place in the skull.

The main reason I took this course was to be able to confidently draw the human form. In paintings and drawings in the past, I had always avoided subjects that include people, since I was afraid that I would not be able to pull it off. I am an Art Education major and as a teacher I should be able to draw just about anything, including human beings. This course has made me confident in my drawings and I feel better qualified to teach in a high school setting. If a student asks me how to draw the facial features, I will be able to answer that question and draw an example.

No comments:

Post a Comment