Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Drawing III, Spring 2011

My name is Jill Alberg and I am from Monticello, Minnesota. I grew up in a rural environment, which highly influences my work. To me, it is important to know what surrounds us outside of the buildings we hide in. Nature is something I obviously enjoy, which is one of the reasons why I choose my subject matter, but it goes deeper than that. I also value the importance of nature and the preservation of it, since it is where we obtain our resources. I am interested in the give and take between nature and humanity, including the concept of domestication.
Research and reflection on the relations between nature and humanity are the driving force behind my inspiration. My process involves scientific research including the subjects of species and anatomy. With this knowledge, I typically write or make lists, which develop into the framework for a drawing. Along with writing, I take a lot of photographs. I often revisit the rural area in which I grew up for inspiration. There is an abundance of plants and animals in which I study and photograph. Some examples of the wildlife that I photograph are pictured here. In this rural area, you can simply look out the window and see a flock of turkeys or maybe a family of deer. If you take the time to look a little closer, there is an abundance of smaller creatures, including amphibians, reptiles, and insects. During my research, I observe my surroundings and want to know what every animal is called and what it does for the ecosystem. I value this natural curiosity and am disappointed when others do not. I would like my work to emulate and/or represent the natural world surrounding us, in an attempt to inspire care and curiosity in others.
Some common themes and comparisons I utilize in art making:
and

Urban vs. Rural

Graphic vs. Organic

Man vs. Nature

Birth/Life vs. Death

Femininity vs. Masculinity

Anatomy

Domestic vs. Feral


This semester, I plan to prepare for my senior show in May. I do consider myself to be a contemporary drawer, and my senior show will consist of drawings. Typically, in the past, I have been very traditional with my materials. I prefer drawing large scale on Stonehenge paper with charcoal. Over these drawings, I enjoy utilizing ink washes. Fluidity has been important in my work, as the ink has the purpose of giving new life to a tight, stiff drawing. The haphazard result in which washes give my drawings are pleasing to me (Photos of drawings in previous posts). I hope to make more drawings like this, however, I have tried something new recently...

Over winter break, I rediscovered a media my father has always used, and I used at a younger age. Wood burning is something I grew up with, as my father made many signs, as well as art pieces. I rediscovered the tools as I was rummaging through some things at home, and decided to test it out. I got carried away, and before I knew it, I created five pieces that I plan to use in my senior show. Throughout the semester, I hope to further develop this series (although I am not sure where it would be allowable to burn wood in this building). Representing these creatures at an unusual angle is my intent. My research involves photography of animals in vulnerable positions, as vulnerability has become a new theme in my work.

When I am not drawing, I make jewelry. I mostly use wire, found objects, and polymer clay. Pictured are a few of my recent pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment