Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Big Shell Drawings


My line weight has drastically changed in this drawing. I usually draw much darker, but I was careful with my line weight in this piece. I am slowly beginning to understand what the direction of line does to a form. There is not a whole lot of depth, which is something I could improve on. It gets a little better with each shell drawing. I enjoyed working on a larger scale. It forced me to think about composition and the better quality of the paper made me take this drawing more seriously. I liked the thickness of the paper. I erase a lot and this time I didn't end up with any holes in the paper!

The group I was in was very helpful. They explained that if I had an extra plane to show the underside or lip of the shell, it would give the shell more depth. Something that would also help the depth of my shell would be to add extreme lights and darks to my line weight. This would be especially helpful where the shell sinks in. Overall, my group said that I had a good composition and that I used my entire paper well.

To help my group, I drew a diagram to show a way of mapping out bumps on the shell. I also explained that if you have tight curves toward the edge of an object, it will appear to be round. One of the shells was really well done. All it needed was to be lightened up with an eraser in a few areas.

No comments:

Post a Comment